- Crandell, Dwight, 1983, The Geologic Story of Mount Rainier, Pacific Northwest National Parks & forests Association, 40 pages.
- Driedger, Carolyn,1986, A Visitors Guide to the Mt. Rainier Glacier, Longmire, Wash, Pacific Northwest National Parks and Forests Association, 80 pages.
- Ferguson, Sue A. 1992, Glaciers of North America: A Field Guide, Fulcrum Publishing, 171 pages
- Hambrey, Michael and Alean, Jürg , 1992, Glaciers, Cambridge University Press, 208 pages
- Harris, Ann G., and Tuttle, Esther, 1990, Mount Rainier National Park, in Geology of National Parks, Kendall / Hunt Publishing Company, pages 402-415.
- Harris, Stephen, 1988, Mt. Rainier, in Fire Mountains of the West, Mountain Press Publishing, pages 231-255.
- Reifsnyder, W.E., 1980, Weathering the Wilderness, Sierra Club Books, 276 p.
- Renner, J., 1992, Northwest Mountain Weather, The Mountaineers, 112 p.
- Technical References
- Works cited and accessed by clicking on the (c) symbol that appears in the text throughout this site.
- Bahr, D., Meier, M., and Peckman, S., 1997, The physical basis of glacier volume area scaling, Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 102, B9, p. 20,355-20,362.
- Benn, D.I. and Evans, D.J.A., 1998, Glaciers and Glaciation, Arnold Publishers, 734 p.
- Burbank, D.W., 1979, Late Holocene glacier fluctuations on Mount Rainier and their relationship to the historical climate record, University of Washington, 84 p.
- Burbank, D.W., 1982, Correlations of climate, mass balances, and glacial fluctuations on Mount Rainier, Washington, U.S.A., Arctic and Alpine Research, v. 12, no. 2, p. 137-148
- Chen, J. and Ohmura, A., 1990, Estimation of alpine glacier water resources and their change since the 1870s, Hydrology in mountainous regions - I. Hydrologic measurements, the water cycle, Proceeding of the two Lausanne Symposia, IAHS Publ. no. 193, p. 127-135.
- Condie, K.C., and Sloan, R.E., 1998, Chapter 15 - The Cenozoic Era II: Quaternary Period, Origin and Evolution of Earth, Prentice Hall, 498 pp.
- Crandell, D.R. and Miller, R.D., 1974, Quaternary stratigraphy and extent of glaciation in the Mount Rainier region, Washington, U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 847, 59 p.
- Daly, C. , Taylor, G. and Gibson, W., 2001, The Prism Approach to Mapping Precipitation and Temperature, web page < http://www.ocs.orst.edu/prism/ amsac97.html >, Oregon Climate Service Web Site <http://www.ocs.orst.edu >, last accessed 21 February 2001.
- Daly,C., R.P. Neilson , and D.L. Phillips, 1994: A statistical-topographic model for mapping climatological precipitation over mountainous terrain, Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 33, p. 140-158.
- Driedger, C.L. and Kennard, P.M, 1986, Ice volumes on Cascade volcanoes: Rainier, Mount Hood, Three sisters, and Mount Shasta, Professional Paper 1365, U.S. Geological Survey, 29 p.
- Fountain, A.G., Krimmel., R.M., and Trabant, D.C., 1997, A Strategy for Monitoring Glaciers, Circular 1132, U.S. Geological Survey, 19 p.
- Fountain, A.G. and Tangborn, W.V., 1985, The effect of glaciers on stream flow variations, Water Resources Research, vol. 21, p. 579-586.
- Fountain, A., and Walder, J., 1998, Water flow through temperate Glaciers, Review of Geophysics, 36, 3 pp 299-328
- Hall, M., 1994, Predicting the Impact of Climate Change on Glacier and Vegetation Distribution in Glacier National Park to the Year 2100, [M.S. Thesis], Syracus NY, State University of New York, 194 pages
- Heliker, C.C., Johnson, A., and Hodge, S.M., 1983, The Nisqually Glacier, Mount Rainier, Washington, 1857-1979, A summary of long-term observations and a comprehensive bibliography, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 84-541, 20 p.
- Heine, J.T., 1997, Glacier advances at the Pleistocene/Holocene transition near Mount Rainier volcano, Cascade Range, USA, doctoral dissertation, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 138 p.
- Hodge, S.M., 1974, Variations in the sliding of a temperate glacier, Journal of Glaciology, vol. 13, no. 69, p. 349-369
- Hoblitt, et.al., 1998, Volcano Hazards from Mount Rainier, Washington, Revised 1998: USGS Open-File Report 98-428
- Hodge, S.M., 1972, The movement and sliding of the Nisqually Glacier, Mount Rainier, Doctoral Dissertation, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 409 p.
- Kiver, E., and Mumma, M., 1971, Summitt firn caves, Mt. Rainier: Science, vol. 173, pp. 320-322
- LaChapelle, E., 1962, Assessing Glacier Mass Budgets by Reconnaissance Aerial Photography, Journal of Glaciology, vol. 4, p.209-296
- LeConte, J.N, 1906, The motion of Nisqually Glacier, Mt. Rainier, U.S.A., Zeitschrift fur Gletscherkunde, V. 1, p. 191-198
- LeConte, J.N, 1906, The motion of Nisqually Glacier, Sierra Club Bulletin, V. 6, no. 2, pp. 108-114
- Lescinsky, D. and Sisson, T. W, 1998, Ridge-forming, ice bounded lava flows at Mount Rainier, Washington, Geology, p. 351-354.
- McCabe, G.J., Fountain, A.G., Dyurgerov, M. 2000; Variability in winter mass balance of Northern Hemisphere glaciers and relations with atmospheric circulation; Arctic, Antarctica, and Alpine Research; v. 32, p. 64-72.
- Mennis, J.L., 1997, GIS applications to Glaciology Construction of the Mount Rainier Glacier Database, Masters Thesis, Department of Geography, Portland State University, Portland, Oregon, 139 p.
- Nylen, T., In process, Spatial and Temporal Variations of Glaciers on Mt. Rainier between 1913 and 1994., Masters Thesis, Department of Geology, Portland State University, Portland, Oregon.,
- Østrem, G. and Brugman, M.; 1991; Glacier Mass-Balance Measurements; National Hydrology Research Institute; 224 p.
- Paterson, W.S., 1994, Physics of Glaciers, Pergamon Press, 480 p.
- Porter, S.C., and Denton, G.D., 1967, Chronology of neoglaciation in the North America cordillern, American Journal of Science, vol. 265, p. 177-210
- Post, A. S., 1963, Summary of Recent Changes in Glaciers of Mount Rainier, in Meier, M., ed., The Glaciers of Mount Rainier, IUGG glacier study tour, Sept. 2-5, 1963, Tacoma, Washington, U.S. Geological Survey, p. 9-12
- Russell, I.C., 1898, Part 2: Glaciers of Mountain Rainier: U.S. Geological Survey Annual Report, v. 18, Part 2, p. 349-415
- Scott and Vallance, 1993, History of Landslides and Debris Flows at Mount Rainier: Water Fact Sheet: USGS Open-File Report 93-111
- Sigafoos, R.S. and Hendricks, E.L., 1969, The time interval between stabilization of alpine glacial and the establishment of tree seedlings, U.S. Geological Survey professional paper 650-B, 24 p.
- Sigafoos, R.S. and Hendricks, E.L., 1972, Recent activity of glaciers of Mount Rainier, Washington, U.S. Geological Survey professional paper 387-B, 24 p.